We all know that a detox is something we'd all love to do, but when it comes down to it, it always gets put on the back-burner! Never fear, we're not here to make your life more difficult, but to present a healthy challenge. Detox doesn't mean you have to spend a fortune and it doesn't mean living a completely different lifestyle.
We have pulled together a manageable amount of essential detox tips especially for you!
How many of these can you fit into your routine?
- First things first, a no-brainer, but no less important! Aim to drink 7-8 glasses of water every day. The health authorities commonly recommend eight 8-ounce glasses, which equals about two litres a day. It won't be an overwhelming amount once you get started, and you can set yourself little challenges throughout the day. The best part is, once you've conquered this challenge for a week, you'll be drinking water out of habit. TOP TIP: Add some lemon slices and ice to your water for an extra detox.
- Next, cut back on sugar. If you don't have sugar in your hot drinks or on cereal then you're at an advantage. For everyone else, refined sugar causes a process called glycation, which can damage the collagen and elastin that keep skin firm and youthful. Try all-natural stevia, an easily digested herbal sweetener that doesn't trigger glycation. See, it's not a complete 'cut out' - just a 'cut back'.
- Thirdly, get your sweat on! Exercise gets your heart beating and your skin sweating, which helps to cleanse toxins from your body. You may find joining a gym to be more motivating than going for a run around your neighbourhood, but there's no need to spend money to exercise. With a bit of determination, you'll be benefiting from your routine very quickly, and maybe you'll even enjoy it!
- Now that the tough-ies are out the way, this next one can be a way of rewarding yourself for all your hard-work so far! A cleansing bath. Use your bath to detox your skin by adding a cup of unfiltered apple cider vinegar and a cup of Epsom salts to your hot water. As an extra treat, lavender or sandalwood oil will be the ultimate luxury. Not a difficult one to add in once a week, right?
- Next! A citrus steam at the weekend will be just the thing for ultimate relaxation and you'll be treating your skin to a deep cleanse! Shopping list: citrus essential oil. Pour hot water into a small bowl and add a few drops of citrus essential oil. Then soak a hand towel in the water and drape over your face. Lie down and allow the steam to open your pores and pull out the toxins until the towel cools. Done!
- Lastly, a dry brush. Dry brushing is the best way to detox the skin all over your body. Take five minutes right before your bath or shower, and using a body brush make circular motions, starting at your feet and working your way up, massaging toward your heart. Such a simple thing will increase your circulation, remove dead skin cells and make your skin incredibly clean!
So what are you waiting for? Remember, If you add only three out of six of these tips, you'll be well on your way to a healthier lifestyle, radiant, glowing skin and a feel-good 2016.
We hope you have a brilliant 2016.